Fast-growing independent power producer for distributed energy resources based at MaRS Discovery District in downtown Toronto
Public Energy Inc. is an entrepreneurial independent power producer operating “behind the meter” for the distributed energy resources (DER). The company designs, installs, operates, finances and maintains pre-engineered, fully containerized gas-fired (soon to be hydrogen-fired) solutions that save money and reduce carbon intensity for commercial and industrial customers.
Our head office operates out of the MaRS Discovery District, one of the largest urban innovation centres in the world, according to Stanford University. With over 1,200 companies, this vibrant centre of discovery and innovation is like a college campus full of activity and opportunity for entrepreneurial collaboration. There are even lunchtime yoga classes.
Learn more at publicenergyinc.com
We're looking for an experienced financial controller to pilot day-to-day financing reporting functions, including corporate/project accounting and financial reporting for our portfolio of distributed generation projects.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least five years of experience in financial/project accounting and reporting
- Strong technical accounting skills and knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”).
- Be a ‘hands-on’ accountant with strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Report to the President
- Oversee the preparation of financial reporting related to operating and under construction distributed energy projects in Canada and the United States.
- Be available for a full-time position based at the MaRS Discovery District in downtown Toronto.
Specific Job Duties
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial reporting package – including financials and MD&A and related working papers and schedules – to meet reporting and regulatory deadlines.
- Prepare consolidation of the financial results and accounts of Canadian corporate parent and its subsidiaries in the US.
- Manage the day-to-day accounting operations and ensure timely period-end close process, including, but not limited to, the review and approval of journal entries, account and bank reconciliations, intercompany transactions, equity transactions and foreign exchange translation.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Continually improve processes and look for efficiencies, e.g., evaluate the accuracy,
- completeness and effectiveness of the financial reporting processes.
- Research technical accounting matters and implement new standards in compliance with IFRS.
- Prepare monthly regulatory filing forms for the portfolio of public entities.
- Assist with the year-end audit process and liaise with external auditors.
Skills and Qualifications
The preferred candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA/CGA/CMA) and minimum education level of a Bachelor of Business degree.
- Five years of progressive experience in financial accounting and reporting.
- Public accounting experience from a mid-size CA firm would be preferred.
- Solid knowledge of, and previous experience working with, IFRS (with exposure to public companies and related work), and experience in the following areas will be great assets:
- Construction and project accounting
- Intercompany transactions
- Foreign currency transactions
- Ability to prepare working papers and schedules as support for balances.
- Quality-driven and attention to detail and accuracy and strong follow-up skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and follow instructions.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills and the ability to apply judgment, make decisions based on accurate analyses, and the ability to see the "big picture" in a complex environment.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- QuickBooks and Excel spreadsheet skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and take an analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Self-motivated and adaptable to a changing and fast-paced corporate environment managing multiple competing deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
$75 – $90k